Monday, September 15, 2008

Lessons Learned from Unit 4

Still hanging in there!

My anxiety level is like a roller coaster. Good one minute and freaking out the next. I need to chill out and stop making such a big deal out of everything.

I've learned I need to put a filter between my brain and my mouth (or fingers in this case). I get along well with all my teammates, but it doesn't take long to lose someone's trust and I need to watch out for that.

I learned that I've been placed in a group with one person on the west coast and another on the east coast and it is challenging. What's the logic there? Are the instructors just trying to make this more difficult than it already is? I'm sure they are not, but that was my first impression.

I am learning how to work on a project that has no set guidelines or rubric. Until this very moment, I did not get it. It irritated the hell out of me and drove my frustration level through the roof. I get it now. This is why. In life, there are no rubrics. There, that's it! It's that simple. I didn't get it until right now, but after reflecting on all the emails exchanged between myself and the instructors.... I get it! If I were creating an eLearning environment in real life, there's no rubric to follow! I have to sit down with a team or by myself and ask the questions: What is my purpose, what are my values, what will the outcome of my eLearning session be. Then, and only then, can any form of a rubric be made and, AND... then it has to be made by ME! I get it! I'm worse for the wear trying to figure it out, but dangit I get it now!!!

On a side note, I also learned that bitching doesn't accomplish anything. I'd use the word complaining, but I have to admit I was doing a bit more than that. Patience and reflection are key here.

I guess I'm a slow learner, but to quote Genie from Alladin, "he can be taught!"

2 comments:

PRL said...

You make a great point! There are no rubrics in life! (Though there will be one for the webinar... stay tuned)

As an instructor, I have always struggled with to provide a rubric or not to provide a rubric. There is a great deal of research that supports their use but at the same time, as you mention... there are no rubrics in life. Our work is continually evaluated day-to-day by people who don't provide us a rubric.

Further, I find that a rubric can at times reduce creativity b/c students write or develop to the rubric and are in ways stuck in a box.

With that being said, there is a time and place to use them and at times I wish I had one in life...
Thanks
Patrick

Jackied said...

Jim,the webinar proposal form is the document that Patrick and I provided to help structure the webinar assignment. I wonder if you have seen it? If you go to the Unit 5>home page, you will see a link to it. It is also in DocSharing.

Perhaps the most important lesson learned lately is that Patrick and I are here to make you successful. We are here to help you improve your skills and enjoy the process. We are definitely not trying to fail you, embarrass you, or make things difficult for you. In the future, perhaps it would help, when you begin to feel negative about an assignment or project, to take a deep breath and consider that our primay goal is to help you succeed.